Families Belong Together
We believe that families belong together.
We will stand up in whatever ways we can to counter the inhumane actions of the Trump administration in separating children from their families.
It is hard to know where to start in confronting a giant problem like this. The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) has helpfully provided us with a list of organizations that are working on the ground along the border to support families that could use your support!
The poster up in our cafe was designed and printed by Fontlove Studio, just behind the cafe on 26th. If you have an organization or business that can hang this poster publicly, you are welcome to take one for free, just ask at the counter, or they are available for the cost of shipping online.
Organizations recommended by ILCM:
- RAICES: This Texas-based organization offers free and low-cost legal services to immigrant children and families. Donate here.
- Pueblo Sin Fronteras: This organization provides humanitarian aid and shelter to migrants on their way to the U.S. Donate here.
- Together Rising: This Virginia-based organization is helping provide legal assistance for 60 migrant children who were separated from their parents and are currently detained in Arizona. Donate here.
- Al Otro Lado: This bi-national organization works providing legal services to deportees and migrants in Tijuana, Mexico, including deportee parents whose children remain in the U.S. Donate here.
- The Florence Project: This Arizona-based organization offers free legal services to men, women, and unaccompanied children in immigration custody. Donate here.
- Texas Civil Rights Project: This organization has been using legal advocacy and litigation to help families separated at the border. Donate here.
- Border Angels: This California-based organization supports San Diego County’s immigrant population and focuses on issues related to the U.S.-Mexico border. Donate here.
- Neta: This Texas-based grassroots organization helps asylum seekers on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border. Donate here.
- South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project (ProBAR): This project of the American Bar Association is currently supporting over 1,000 unaccompanied children in detention centers across South Texas. Donate here.
- Kids In Need of Defense (KIND) represents and advocates for immigrant children in legal proceedings. Donate here.
Contact Your Representatives
Please contact your senators and congressperson and tell them they need to stand up on this issue! ILCM has provided phone numbers and sample messages to make it easy. And for those of us fortunate to have representatives that are actively standing up on this issue, reach out to your friends and family who live in other districts and ask them to contact their representatives.
We know that President Trump and his allies/enablers will continue there multi-faceted attack on our immigrant community. We hope you'll sign up for the Immigrant Law Center's action alerts to stay up-to-date on opportunities to stand up when the next shocking thing happens.
And if you are interested in joining others from the Common Roots Cafe network in standing up on supporting our immigrant communities, please sign up on our volunteer form below.